A Journey to Huaymalai
Prelude.....................
Click on any image to enlarge

I made my first visit to Huaymalai in October 2005 in the company of my son Christopher Mills, and missionary Sharon Porterfield.
Sharon is a longtime missionary to the Karen Hilltribes and she is loved like a Grandmother amongst them.
My son Chris was on his third missionary visit to Thailand, traveling with Sharon and assisting her with her many tasks and visits to refugee camps, Bible schools, Churches, villages, and with the occasional visitors from other countries here to try to help in some way.
I am presenting this report in order to better familiarize the members of my son's church and any other readers, with one of the primary locations where he, and church members Brian and Tyler have spent time and gotten involved with a Karen family doing important humanitarian work in Huaymalai, a small Karen village near the Thailand / Burma border.

Click Here for Webshots Video
Enjoying a VBS outing in a village near Thong Pha Phum, from l-r Brian, Charissa, ?, Paw Lulu, Kathy, Sharon, Chris, ? , Chris' mom Kimberly, ? , Tyler and Amber.
They are all to be commended for their dedication in conducting Vacation Bible Study classes for the children and adults living in these remote villages of Thailand, where some locations can only be reached by boat.
Click Here for Webshots Video

And other locations are so remote that they require an overnight trek through jungled mountains.
The weather conditions sometimes refused to cooperate, but it never stops the teams from doing their duty, even when it includes a breakfast of cold rice wrapped in a banana leaf, and ...er..water.
***************************************************
The first part of this report is in the form of a travelog, to give those thinking of coming over a feel for what types of adventure can occur on such a trip.
In the second part of the report, as a concerned citizen who has been to the area I will make some observations on what I found in Huaymalai and the nearby Karen refugee camp at Ban Don Yang.
I will also briefly discuss the reality of the Karen and other hilltribes who are displaced inside burma and facing disease and starvation not because of famine, but as a matter of government policy, carried out by the Burma Army.
And I'll talk about an organization that treks deep into Burma, to bring food, medicine, first aid, and spiritual aid to the thousands of internally displaced refugees hiding in the jungle.
The final part of the report will ask some questions, and provide some suggestions as to how regular people can get involved, help do good things, become inspired, and inspire others.
I will also include a list of travel tips. I have since made another visit to Huaymalai in July 2006, so while the travelog is based on the first trip- my observations (and tips) are based on two visits.
I have freely made mention of travel tips which generally meant spending more money. During my travels with Sharon and Chris I was the instigator of these higher priced modes of transportation, usually to save time. And I insisted on covering those costs for the duration of the time I was there. Sharon and Chris normally employed slower less comfortable modes of transportation which are more frugal.
For those considering a visit to Thailand, it is a beautiful country and in comparison with many vacation destinations Worldwide- the dollar goes a long way in Thailand. But for those planning a visit to Huaymalai, you won't need much money while you're there.
Pack lightweight and cool, and for sure bring a poncho and an umbrella. An extra pair of reading glasses and a bottle of mosquito repellant may come in handy.
And don't forget to bring a flashlight, and your Bible.

All photos, videos, artwork and image editing by Christopher Mills or Gary Mills
